Saturday, April 19, 2008

The Children of Vilya

One thing i can always remember when our family visited Lola are all the children. They came from all around the village and peaked through the windows, stuck their hands through the barriers and listened to our stories. I guess we were strange, like aliens. Just like the people, but not as perfect, from TV. We had curly hair, white skin and freckles. It's not every day they saw a large man with blue eyes in the tropics of leyte.

I remember giving them lollies, our old toys and clothes as a child. It was like their Christmas. But this time it was only me. I could only bring crayons, colouring books and a limited supply of chocolate.
This beautiful girl (above) is Nicki, oldest daughter of Ate Jen Jen.
She is very smart and can already read English at a year 4 level.
I gave her the little Mermaid book and she finished reading it in three days.




I love the children of Vilya they also love to get their photo taken too!




No comments: